01 May 2011

Gu Zheng

There's an ancient Chinese instrument that makes the most amazing music. I think I've heard it in the background of films like “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and others. It makes many individual sounds at once and is simultaneously harmonious, discordant, jarring, lilting, sweet and absolutely amazing.



I was fortunate to be invited to hear a young girl practice on her Gu Zheng. I still can’t pronounce it correctly (I always get it wrong, and after about 7 attempts can get close to the right sound). Her attention to her fingers, musical score sheet, mother’s helpful suggestions and the tones of the instrument was something to behold. When you consider that she’s only in first grade it becomes mind boggling.

She played for an hour straight without one complaint! I was enthralled the entire time. While she was playing, I could see scenes out of books in my head (The Good Earth, The Samurai’s Garden and others) and I could almost smell the incense burning for the deities. I envisioned thousand year old forests shrouded in mists. I tasted Lung Ching tea, wait, I was actually drinking it. And was completely captured by the delicacy of the instrument and the vitality of her playing!

The vibrato almost sounded like it was speaking Chinese to me. I was completely inspired. I also loved the way the instrument itself looked. The mother of pearl inlay, the precision placement of the parts and the sheer length of the Gu Zheng all impressed me. I wonder what getting that baby tuned is like – I remember the difficulty of getting my piano done.





I am confident that my future is in good hands because this little one represents the millions of industrious, competent, caring kids coming along behind me. I will be okay and well cared for in my old age!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Susanne,

    Thank you for sharing this with me. It's so wonderful to hear and feel your voice in this blog. Through your words and pictures I get to "meet" you; and you are new to me and yet also, so familiar.

    Peace,



    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete