20 May 2011

Shanghai - Part 3

     In Shanghai, I also visited the Jing'an Temple.  It’s been around since the 800’s (yeah that’s right - 1,200 years) and has the spirit present to prove it!  The quiet conviction and oasis point in the middle of a bustling metropolis is quite something to behold.  There’s so much to see and do.  I lit incense and prayed.  I observed a 15 ton silver Buddha that was over 28 feet tall and prayed.  I saw various “lesser” deities and prayed.  I saw a cast iron bell from way back in the day that still worked, and I prayed.  I thought of my children.  I thought of my relatives.  I thought of those who have gone before me (nameless, faceless ancestors).  I thought of just how fortunate I am, how insignificant my troubles are and how deeply I appreciate this life; and I prayed.



     I was also impressed with the trees that were used to make the temple.  There are more than 46 giant Myanmar teak trees used to create this special place.  The life force of the trees seemed alive to me.  The solemnity of the monks visible throughout the place added a dimension of connectivity to the past that also seemed alive.  And, of course the icons of peace and understanding complimented the feelings of one world, one life, and love.  I felt supported by people long deceased who knew me with all of my flaws and warts but loved me anyway.  I felt comforted by strangers who understood that I’m trying to do what is right with integrity, clarity and singleness of purpose.  I also felt souls of those yet to be who are hopeful that many of the problems of this world will be solved before they arrive.  It was an intensely spiritual segment of time, and I still feel the positive energy flowing through me.

    In the middle of this vast megalopolis, there sits a temple of peace.  It is utilized by many different people (those who are devoutly religious, tourists, rich, poor, old, young, and almost every other distinction you could discern) and all seem to find something good to sustain them.  It was amazing to be in the midst of this huge busy city one moment, and then in the middle of peace and tranquility the next just by stepping over a threshold and into the temple grounds.  It was awesome to realize that the noise, stress, and even the pace of the city disappeared almost completely in the time it takes to move two paces forward.  When you get to Shanghai, take the time to visit the temple.  Don’t wait for a year to pass before you go because it will only enrich your experience of China.



2 comments:

  1. Your words and pictures are so special. I‘m all verkelempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just there last weekend and spent my time chasing the Monkey around and preventing him from falling into the well or tripping on the threshold. Thank you for posting and allowing me time to reflect on all those things now in the early hours while he is safely in bed. See you this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete