03 May 2011

Things that make me go, "Hmmmmm. . ."

     It's a rainy Monday Tuesday morning here in Beilun, China.  The Labor Day Holiday has caused it to feel more like Monday.  The schools and government offices were closed yesterday, but the rest of the Chinese laborers appeared to be working as usual.  This is but one of the things here that makes me go, "hmmmmm." 

     Many school kids were busy working last night because they had lots of homework to finish even though they had worked diligently all weekend.  It seems that the Chinese students received extra homework because there was a day "off."  . . hmmmmm . .  The middle school kids also have extra pressure because the tests to determine which high school they will attend is coming up soon.  It is an all but inconceivable notion to me that your entire future could be determined by one test, taken one day in middle school.  Better not be a Chinese late bloomer, that would be a tragedy of a lifetime with seriously long lasting consequences.

         Another truly marvelous and illuminating part of being in China is NOT having to face racism constantly.   This is not to say that my difference goes unnoticed.  Rather, my difference is carefully noted and frequently questioned.  The big difference is that malice is missing.  My difference doesn't equal inferior, lazy or anything negative.  And, if I spoke Chinese, it would be a great conversation starter.  I would be able to possibly unlock all of those "ancient Chinese secrets" because information is fair exchange!

     Do I really want to go back to live in 'Merica?  hmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment